It’s with little wonder that Jestina was destined to become a professional makeup artist. She got her start early on by sneaking makeup to school to transform her friends’ and classmates’ faces during her years in middle and high school. Today, with thirty years of global experience as an expert makeup artist, Jestina Howard is creator and owner of Aware Cosmetics. In her studio, nestled in cozy Mountain Brook, a suburb of Birmingham, AL., Jestina is able to work one-on-one with local clientele to help enhance their everyday looks and to teach them new makeup application techniques.
The creation of the Aware Cosmetics product line in 2003 was a natural progression of Jestina’s pursuits, interests and passion for all things makeup and beauty. Through her brand and product line, Jestina hopes to make clients aware of their of beauty, but not obsessed with it!
In addition to makeup and beauty, Jestina is also truly passionate about bringing awareness and attention to lung health and the fight against lung disease. Personally, Jestina has lost both her father and stepfather to lung disease, and her mother currently lives with asthma.
As a result of these deeply personal experiences, Jestina gives an annual donation from Aware Cosmetics product sales to the American Lung Association of Alabama, to further its mission of working to save lives by improving lung health and preventing lung disease, through research, education and advocacy.
- Birmingham Magazine’s Best in Birmingham 2010- One of the Top Three Makeup Artists in the City
- Best in Minority Business Award (BIMBA) 2012- One of the Top 12 Businesses’
- Birmingham Business Journal 2016 -Entrepreneur Spotlight Award
- Renasant Bank/Birmingham Business Resource Center Renasant Roots Capacity Building Program 2018 Grant Recipient
- Training/Certification – Photography and Video Makeup – Barbara Salamone Conservatory of Esthetics in Chicago, IL
- Training – Sam Fine, makeup artist and author of Fine Beauty
- Training – Eve Pearl and Todd McIntosh, Emmy Award Winning Makeup Artists
- Training/Certification – Dina Ousley, founder of Dinair Airbrush System
- Training – Michael DeVellis, founder of The Powder Group and The Makeup Show
- Member – IATSE – Local 798 Union Makeup Artist & Hair Stylists
- Member – Lawson State Barbering and Cosmetology Advisory Committee
- Certification – Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT) State University of New York Beauty Industry Essentials